www.gujaratindia.com - Official Portal of Gujarat Government

Media

HomeMediaNews
CM assures the completion of work for raising the height of Narmada Dam by September 2017

Gujarat Chief Minister Smt Anandiben Patel today commenced the works for Narmada sub-minor canal network at Bamanva village, Surendranagar. The State Cabinet with CM Smt Patel in chair had earlier decided to implement Rs. 2,000 crore underground ‘sub minor canal’ project to irrigate 5-lakh hectares in 54 talukas, in the state falling under the Sardar Sarovar Project (SSP) Narmada command area.

While CM Smt Patel marked the beginning of the canal network at Bamanva, near Dasada, 17 other ministers simultaneously launched the works in different villages in 9 districts.

CM Smt Patel said that this network of sub-minor canals will channelize Narmada waters directly to the fields and provide seamless irrigational facility to the farmers. In her address, she talked about the significance of water, may it be for drinking or for farming. CM Smt Patel said that as a farmer’s daughter, she understands how important it is to be provided with enough water for irrigation purposes. The underground pipelines will not create any hindrance for the farmers and will also take care of the problems of water-logging and damage to canals, she added. On the occasion, CM Smt Patel assured the people that the work for raising the height of Narmada Dam will be completed by September 2017.

Sardar Sarovar Narmada Nigam Limited (SSNL) will bear 90 per cent cost of the project in phase-1, the remaining 10 per cent to be borne by the farmers to be benefitted. Farmers could chip in their share through ‘shram daan’ labour also. CM Smt Patel added that the work for canal network will be carried further with close monitoring, use of good quality of raw materials and cooperation from the farmers, thus epitomizing the spirit of ‘Jan Bhagidari’ in its true sense.

About 4-lakh hectares are proposed to be covered by open channel and remaining portion through underground pipelines. When fully completed the SSP has plans to irrigate total 19-lakh hectares. Out of 18,45,000 ha irrigation area, over 10 lakh has been covered so far.

 
Add Gujarat State Portal News To :

http://www.gswan.gov.in, Gujarat State Wide Area Network http://vibrantgujarat.com/, Vibrant Gujarat Gujarat Tourism : External website that opens in a new window http://india.gov.in, The National Portal of India https://www.digitalgujarat.gov.in/, Digital Gujarat

gujaratindiagujaratindia